when 'disney; wasn't ghetto

Oh, look at her now... so jaded. Go to 'Disney' 5 times a year for 8 years and tell me what you come up with. Once upon a time Kodachrome was king and vacation films like these were projected on living room walls throughout the land, with dust motes floating through the flirckering light.
The color and quality of these films is just beautiful. Honestly, compared to the digi cams we have now? These have such 'tooth'. Jeff Altman's found shorts, are a look into the life of a grandfather that he never really knew. These films, via A Continuous Lean via Vimeo are such a great archive the way things used to be.

Home Movies At DisneyLand - 1956 from Jeff Altman on Vimeo.

This one's crazy, San Francisco really hasn't changed that much... save for the Trans America buidling profile.

San Francisco 1958 from Jeff Altman on Vimeo.

To see more of his archived films check Vimeo.

Comments

Petunia Face said…
That was awesome. The SF film made me fall even more in love with the city :)
The only real differences I could see between then and now is that back then so many more people smoked.
Anonymous said…
There was also no spandex, so I don't know how great it was.

-jhg
Linda Merrill said…
The film quality in those pieces is amazing! And we've progressed??
this girl said…
aww, the disneyland film totally brought me back to my childhood (not that i was around in the 50s but my dad's 80s videos of us at disneyland were still very similar) thanks for sharing this. it made me smile :)
Jane said…
Our son lives in SF...this footage mesmerized me. Love it, love the music. Thanks for sharing it!

Popular Posts